Sunday, June 24, 2007

Warrior Munny Project

My latest custom project is my Warrior Munny. This is the first 8" munny I've customized, so it was interesting working in this scale. In addition, instead of using a painted basecoat, I actually took a hint from the Kidrobot forums and dyed the vinyl. I'm not sure I like the dyed effect as well as a good painted base, but I liked the opportunity to try a new technique.

For the eyes and mouth, I used some metal forming mesh sandwiched between super sculpey. This gave a little depth to eyes and mouth, as well as contributing to the "mechanical" feel. I added some random scorch marks to simulate battle damage.

I kept the rear simple, except for the wingpack. I wanted something on the back of the figure to suggest flight capability, and came up with the winged jetpack you see here. I'm not as happy with it as I hought I would be, mainly because by this time I was losing steam on the project and just wanted to get it finished. That's why I skipped adding a lot of detail to the wings to make it look more metallic and less like a pair of silver painted cardboard wings the likes of which I used to play with as a kid.

Oh well.

Monday, June 4, 2007

A Blue Monday is Coming

Some friends and I are taking another small step towards developing an urban vinyl presence in Atlanta. We're forming an online company called Blue Monday, through which we hope to build enough of a presence in the industry (as well as raise enough capital) that we can eventually open a brick and mortar location here in Atlanta.

We're planning to man a booth at this year's Dragon-Con over Labor Day weekend. Between now and then, we'll be developing a website as well as establishing accounts with major wholesalers.

I'll post more updates as they become available.